Sep 24, 2014

Stuck in flux

the year 2014...a ticking anomaly
Either from the height of arrogance or the depths of my own desperation I begin, dear reader, with a quote from my own journal: "I want to stop thinking of my time in the Dominican Republic as some sort of expendable commodity, a year bracketed off from the rest of my life where the normal rules don't apply." In the narrative arc we all try to make of our own lives, my year 2014 appears with a big red asterisk. (Like this --------------->)
Living as if the normal rules don't apply might sound liberating at first: take risks! Love more deeply! Embark on adventures! Carpe diem and all that. And, in part, this liberating aspect of "anything goes" has been true of my Dominican experience. I have made faster friendships here than is typical of my reserved, skeptical self. (A task made easy when casual conversation with Dominicans can include literally anything: a male student of mine unabashedly told me of his troubles at home getting his wife pregnant due to a low sperm count). In following with the general warmth and closeness of Dominican culture I am now more liable to hug a stranger...and more liable to shed tears of joy and sadness.
The many-hued palate of my emotional experience
This year has
seen me run the full gamut of emotions, from intense loneliness and feelings of isolation, when I subscribe to the belief that no one cares about me, to prolonged states of happiness, where I move and speak more confidently and see the world and my surroundings as beautiful and harmonious. While such emotional disjunction is not atypical for me (I am prone to extremes) it seems more pronounced here in the Dominican Republic because I know that my time here is temporary. There was a period where I toyed with staying on another year--if only to have a chance to improve tremendously on my efforts as a first-year teacher--but I am going to turn 26 next year and that milestone, my friends, is when the shit hits the proverbial fan and I need to think about finding a real job with health benefits. (Not that teaching isn't a "real" job: I will fight passionately against anyone who argues the contrary.) Words like "responsibility", "self-sufficiency" and "settling down" have begun to dominate my conscious. And there is a sense of the fleeting, the temporary, about my life here. To provide just one example: I still live out of a suitcase. (There is no space in my bedroom for a closet). My wardrobe consists of teaching attire, plus two casual shirts and one dress. (first world problems) Breaking with what was a decently regular exercise routine in my "prior 'American' life", I have not gone for a run in more than three weeks with the varying paltry excuses that it's too hot, I'm too worn out, I'm too busy or (the worst!) I'll make up for it next year.

In summation, my time here has ranged from the good, to the bad, to the downright ugly. I relish the wisdom in my journal that I am capable of on my best days, and marvel at the maddeningly self-destructive behavior I am capable of on my worst. Does this make me "special" or "different"? Perhaps not. Sometimes I flatter myself into thinking that I, the intrepid intellectual, am in a different category from those who choose to stay "at home" and embrace the quotidian. But deep down I know I am, and have never stopped being, a normal, fallible member of the human race. Here I am, "stuck in flux" in a foreign country. On the one hand I am constantly gaining new insights, reshaping my sense of self and the world; on the other hand, I feel stranded, trapped by my own limitations and misgivings. Maybe I will come to reconcile these two feelings into a coherent whole, and maybe not. In spite of the highs and lows, I wouldn't trade in my experience for anything as I believe the attendant joys and challenges of living abroad have instilled in me a mental fortitude and resilience that will redound to my benefit in future years.

Thank you, dear reader, for sharing with me in these trials and tribulations and for wading through the muck of my most personal and vulnerable blog entry to date. I'll check back in soon!

Saludos,

~Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment